Over my many colourful years based in Brighton, I have had the privilege of working with many talented and innovative theatre practitioners – from working as voice animateur with Open Air music on The Brighton Muses , a huge community piece to celebrate the re-opening of the Brighton Domein 2002 to composing the vocal music for Medea by Company:Collisions as well as many collaborative projects with Periplum Theatre, including RiSing, (see song cycles) and Souterrain for Wild Works theatre in Stanmer Park.
One of my passions, as a composer and workshop leader, is to weave together story and song – sometimes accompanied by simple ensemble movement and ambient sound effects (vocal, instrumental and sampled) – to create through composed, often intricate and deeply satisfying musical journeys. These are exciting projects to create and develop and I love the challenge of devising in this way– they push the boundaries of community singing and drama and provide rewarding and often thought provoking performances. I have been greatly inspired by song cycle work penned by my colleagues and friends; The Raven by Ali Burns and Blazing Heart by Helen Chadwick are the first to mind.
I have written a number of song cycles for choirs;
- Journey Songs is a piece I wrote for Hullabaloo – songs about travelling – both literal and metaphorical, that we performed in Brighton’s iconic St Bartholomew’s Church.
- RiSing was a joint project with Brighton based Periplum theatre. Staged outdoors, with the classically beautiful Doric columns in Queens Park, Brighton as our backdrop, it featured songs of light and transformation, with beautiful hand held lighting effects.
- It’s about time does exactly what it says on the tin! A collection of songs honouring and exploring time, from David Bowie to mediaeval French including original compositions, this performance was performed at The Spiegel Tent as part of the Brighton Festival, and described by a festival critic as ‘the aural equivalent of finding a £50 note on the street’!
- Unsung is my biggest song cycle project to date – a suite of 12 songs, with stories written into the project based on the historical, mythical and cultural concept of heroism – including our own, unsung heroes.
- Uprising was a commissioned piece for Walcot Community Choir in Bath. This piece was performed at the Rondo Theatre in Bath, to critical acclaim!
- The Four Directions is a song cycle I was originally commissioned to write by the Brighton Sacred World Music Festival. It consists of four cornerstone songs, called East, South, West and North, that relate to the elements and properties of air, fire, water and earth respectively. This project is currently being sung by a number of choirs all across Wales.